When’s the best time of day to take collagen?
There is no specific time of day as to which you should take your collagen supplement – it will boost your health just as effectively if you were to take a collagen supplement in the morning, or before you to go bed.
Some studies suggest that if you are taking the supplement for digestive benefits, then it is best to take in the morning as will help settle your stomach.
There has also been some discussions on how taking collagen before bed with a hot drink can also aid better sleep, as collagen mainly consists of protein – thus keeps you fuller for longer.
At what age shall I start taking collagen?
There isn’t a right time as to when you should start incorporating a collagen supplement into your daily routine. The right time for you depends on different factors which includes your genetics and current lifestyle. We believe that there are a few things you should consider when looking to start taking a collagen supplement:
- Your natural collagen levels decline naturally with age. Levels of collagen start to decline in your 20’s by about 1% per year. The way we look at it, if you start taking it now it will only benefit you in the long run!
- If you are exposed to the natural elements, such as the sun on a regular basis, you will find that unfortunately exposure to sunlight triggers the breakdown of collagen. Sun exposure is one of the worst offenders when it comes down to reducing our natural collagen levels.
- If you exercise on a regular basis regardless of your age, adding a collagen supplement to your daily routine will benefit you greatly. Not only will it boost your protein intake which can potentially enhance your performance, it will support your joint and muscle recovery post training too!
- If you lead a stressful or busy lifestyle (like many of us do), then this will also play a key part in your natural levels of collagen declining.
How do I slow down the aging process?
Unfortunately, aging is a natural process that we simply cannot avoid. However we can potentially slow down this process. We have made a little list below of what you can do to help attempt to slow down the process of aging naturally:
- Wear SPF daily.
- If you smoke, aim to cut down or quit if you can.
- Aim for at least six to eight hours of sleep a day.
- Eat nutrient dense foods.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Incorporate a collagen supplement into your daily routine.
- Exercise if possible.
- Don’t expose yourself to the sun too much.
- Cleanse and wash your skin on a regular basis.
- Wash your skin gently.
Can children take collagen as a supplement?
Collagen is safe for children, however it is not necessary until the level of collagen we produce naturally begins to slow down at an older age. If you feel that your child will benefit from a collagen supplement, we recommend you discuss this with a medically trained professional before doing so.
Please do remember that we are not medically trained professionals. Should you experience any side effects of taking a collagen supplement, please do speak to a doctor or medical professional.