Your gut encounters disruption and imbalance on a daily basis with exposure to aggressors such as stress, overly processed foods, and overgrown bad bacteria as a result of infection. This imbalance will often result in the microbiome becoming damaged with bloating, uncomfortable gas, irregular bowel movements as well as other more severe concerns, such as IBS worsening over time. This is a very common problem and is something that almost all of us will experience at least once in our lifetime.
Thankfully, the popularity of probiotics has had such an impressive surge in recent years, I wouldn’t blame you for feeling as though you are missing out on something extraordinary. So, if you’re sat there wondering “should I take probiotics” well, look no further as that is exactly what we will be investigating together in today’s blog post.
Before we dive in, if you are completely new to probiotics and are wanting to find out more, check out our blog post about what are probiotics.
What is the downside of taking probiotics?
Probiotics are a natural product containing a blend of live bacteria and yeast. They provide impressive benefits for your general health and well-being when consumed in large numbers. However, there are some things to take into consideration when using probiotics, here are some examples of the most common side effects experienced.
- Increased experience in bloating and gas- Quite often many experience an increase in bloating, gas, constipation, and thirst during the first few weeks of taking probiotics. This are very common side effects and will usually begin to subside after a couple of weeks. If, however, you have found these symptoms to continue, or even worsen it’s best to stop taking probiotics and seek medical advice.
- Can cause headaches- This is due to the biogenic amines that occur in probiotic rich food such as yoghurts, kimchi, and sauerkraut. By eating too many foods as well as taking probiotics can result in the chances of experiencing headaches.
- Increased levels of histamine- Histamine is naturally produced in the immune system and occurs when it detects a threat. With probiotics increasing the levels of histamine it then begins to breakdown and become inflamed.
There you have some downsides to taking probiotics, if you have any concerns with introducing them into your daily routine it is best to consult with a doctor.
Is it worth taking probiotics?
Yes, many believe that it is worth taking probiotics on a daily basis. Some of the main benefits you can expect to see after taking probiotics for an effective amount of time is,
- Some strains of probiotics promote healthy weight loss
- Overall improved digestion
- Strengthens the immune system
- Reduces chances of contracting some diseases
- Boost healthier skin and complexion
- Reduces bloating and uncomfortable gas
When you take probiotics, you’ll find that they colonise in the gut which will help restore the balance on the microbiome. This is something that is vital for maintaining a good state of general health and well-being. If you are wanting to know more about if probiotics work, check out our dedicated blog post.
What are the signs you need probiotics?
There are a few signs that show you are in need of introducing probiotics into your routine. Some are so mild that many are not familiar with them being a reason to take daily probiotics. Here are some examples of the most common signs you may need probiotics.
- Your digestion is irregular
Ninety percent of good bacteria resides in the gut and colon, which is why if there is some irregularity with the microbiome of the bacteria there is an increase in poor digestion.
- Your metabolism is slowing down
Research has shown that if you are lacking in a variety of bacteria strains in your gut it will have a knock-on effect to your metabolism.
- Your craving for sugar is out of control
If you find your craving for high sugar, it could be a tail tale sign you are hosting the wrong type of bacteria in your gut. Introducing probiotics and all the good bacteria will rebalance and subside these out-of-control cravings.
- You are prone to certain skin conditions, such as eczema
Believe it or not your gut health can have an impact on your skin health. By taking probiotics you are restoring your digestive system to perform correctly, and balance is established in the gut’s microbiome once more. This will have a positive impact on your skin health and reduce the flare-ups in such conditions as eczema, psoriasis, and itchy patches of skin.
- You have taken antibiotics recently
Even if it was months prior, the potent power of antibiotics having the ability to wipe all forms of bacteria from the gut, even the good ones, will have long lasting side effects. You can counteract these by introducing probiotics into your daily routine.
There you have some signs you need to take probiotics, however, should you have any further concerns, you should consult with a doctor or medical professional.
Why you should not take probiotics?
Generally speaking, probiotics are safe to use for many without any long-lasting concerns. However, there are some considerations to take if you have experienced any of the following such as severe illness and compromised immune systems. Some have found that taking probiotics whilst suffering from these concerns results in a flare-up in bacterial and fungal infections.
Do probiotics flatten your stomach?
Yes, they can, by taking probiotics you are increasing the good bacteria making its way to the gut and combating any bad bacteria that is known for causing bloating, gas, and constipation. By giving the flora a boost in good live cultures will result in you finding your stomach will feel more comfortable and won’t bloat excessively throughout the day.
So, there you have it, hopefully today I have answered some of the questions you’ve had about whether you should take probiotics. As I have already mentioned, although probiotics are safe to use, you must consult with your GP before adding them into your daily routine. Don’t forget to come and find us over on Instagram for new product launches, exclusive discounts, and delicious recipes.